Playing videos in youtube or any other site requires flash player plugin and the best available plugin out there is the Adobe Flash Player Plugin. Chromium and Mozilla Firefox are the most dominant browsers and are stable in Ubuntu and hence flash player plays an important role while surfing and watching videos.
Today i am going to describe about the process of installing Adobe Flash Player Plugin. There are several methods of installing and i am going to describe some.
1. Installing the debian(.deb) file
- Navigate to adobe official site and download the .deb file
- Open Terminal and browse the directory where the file is downloaded
- Now use the following command to install the file
- sudo dpkg -i "filename_of_flash_player.deb
- After some time flash player will be installed
2. Installing the tarball (.tar.gz) file
- Navigate to adobe official site and download the .tar.gz file
- Extract the .tar.gz and you will see the following files
- Identify the location of browsers plugin directory. Usually for mozilla it is /usr/lib/mozilla-plugins/
- Copy libflashplayer.so to the browsers plugin directory. Two methods are discussed.
- You can use root mode to copy using the command
- sudo nautilus
- Navigate to the directory /usr/lib/mozilla-plugins/ and paste the file libflashplayer.so
- You can open Terminal and use the following command to directly copy the file to the plugins directory
- sudo cp libflashplayer.so "browsers plugin directory"
- Finally copy the flash player user settings to the /usr directory. At terminal type.
- sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
- Restart the browser
3. Installing through Synaptic Package Manager
- Open synaptic package manager in root mode and search for flash player.
- Select the appropriate file and mark for installation.
- Apply the changes and after some time flash player will be installed
Hope this helps.... Enjoy